Looking at the John Deere sprayer 4940? We have gathered all the info you need to know about this machine including what it does, how much it costs, its benefits and what to look out for.
Let’s start with the basics.
What Does The 4940 Boom Sprayer By John Deere Do?
First released to the market in 2011, this self-propelled boom sprayer is the largest of the series and used for all types of crop spraying for fertilisers, pesticides and other liquids.
It is a 3-season sprayer, so this machine will work with you from planting to harvest, and comes standard with a 36.5 m (120 ft) boom. It can be converted from wet to dry with a 4-hour conversion thanks to the optional drybox, taking you from wet sprays to dry limes and fertiliser.
Video Of John Deere Sprayer 4940 In Action
Take a look at the 4940 boom sprayer by John Deere in action. Credit: Jaydee 8850 via YouTube
How Much Is A John Deere Sprayer?
Generally, John Deere sprayers cost from $66,000 to $400,000 (depending on condition, model and age). More specifically, used 4940 John Deere sprayers costs between $170,000 and $400,000 used. The current average price of a used John Deere 4940 boom sprayer is $242,156*.
John Deere 4940 Boom Sprayer Specs
Engine: Turbocharged John Deere PowerTech™ Diesel
Solution Tank Capacity: 4542 L
Rinse Tank Capacity: 644 L
Dry Weight Min: 15776 kg
Dry Weight Max: 16225.1 kg
Turning Radius: 9.2 m
John Deere boom sprayer extensions
Already have a John Deere boom sprayer and are looking to maximise its capabilities for your needs? Check out these sprayer extensions and additions:
- Direct Injection for quicker loading and easier crop changeover.
- Load Command system drastically reduces fill time, from 15 minutes to as little as 3 minutes.
- Wheel shields & fenders help protect your crops by gently parting then to allow the wheel to pass through.
- Underframe shields help minimise crop loss by stopping entanglement.
- Traction control gives you more control in wet/slippery conditions.
- Boom cleanout kit removes any boom clogs quickly and easily.
- Custom boom plumbing systems enhance productivity with single or triple-nozzle bodies.
- Nozzle drops reduce drift.
Pros & Cons Of The 4940 Boom Sprayer
When you’re buying used farm machinery, you want to be sure you’re making the right choice. We’ve put together the main benefits and things to consider when buying the 4940 John Deere sprayer.
- The 4940 has a much larger tank than previous models, making this sprayer go further. Spend more time spraying and less time heading back to refill!
- High-quality booms make this sprayer very reliable.
- The 3-way suspension system gives incredible accuracy.
Things To Consider:
- The quick-fold outer booms may be too quick for some, as it has been known to shake the cab slightly. However, this can be adjusted, so it really comes down to your preference.
- This machine is heavier and louder than previous machines, but it can wade through mud easily so it really depends on your own needs.
Overall, the John Deere 4940 is a durable, reliable and productive machine that can spray further for longer, thanks to its extra-wide booms and large tank.
Have you used the John Deere 4940 boom sprayer? Let us know your thoughts below, or take a look at used John Deere sprayers for sale.
*Prices are based on Machines4U listing data provided by sellers/advertisers and are an approximation only. Data is correct up to and at time of publishing. Prices may change and need to be verified with individual sellers.